Q. Consider the following statements regarding fishing cat
1. It is the top predator of the wetland ecosystem
2. It is the state animal of Jharkhand.
3. It is listed as “vulnerable (VU)” under the IUCN red list
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Around 87% of world’s wetland ecosystem have been lost due to anthropogenic activities threatening wildlife species such as fishing cat.
About Fishing Cat:
- The fishing cat is one of only two animals among the 40 odd members of the cat family which can survive in wet landscape
- It is the top predator of the wetland ecosystem
- Fishing cat has double-layered coat which keeps its skin from getting wet.
- The fishing cat is the state animal of West Bengal.
- Conservation status:
- Schedule 1 of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
- IUCN status: It is listed as “vulnerable (VU)” under IUCN red list
- CITES status: The fishing cat is included on CITES Appendix II