Q. Consider the following statements regarding Forest Survey of India (FSI):
1. It was established before the Independence of India.
2. It is a premier national organization under Ministry of Environment.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Forest Survey of India (FSI), is a premier national organization under the union Ministry of Environment and Forests, responsible for assessment and monitoring of the forest resources of the country regularly.
- In addition, it is also engaged in providing the services of training, research and extension.
- Established on June 1 – 1981, the Forest Survey of India succeeded the “Pre-investment Survey of Forest Resources” (PISFR), a project initiated in 1965 by Government of India with the sponsorship of FAO and UNDP.
- The main objective of PISFR was to ascertain the availability of raw material for establishment of wood based industries in selected areas of the country.
- In its report in 1976, the National Commission on Agriculture (NCA) recommended for the creation of a National Forest Survey Organization for a regular, periodic and comprehensive forest resources survey of the country leading to creation of FSI.
- After a critical review of activities undertaken by FSI, Government of India redefined the mandate of FSI in 1986 in order to make it more relevant to the rapidly changing needs and aspirations of the country.