Q. Consider the following statements regarding functions of Prime Minister:
1.He recommends persons who can be appointed as ministers by the president.
2.He guides, directs, controls, and coordinates the activities of all the ministers.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: The Prime Minister enjoys the following powers as head of the Union council of ministers:
- He recommends persons who can be appointed as ministers by the president. The President can appoint only those persons as ministers who are recommended by the Prime Minister.
- He allocates and reshuffles various portfolios among the ministers.
- He can ask a minister to resign or advise the President to dismiss him in case of difference of opinion.
- He presides over the meeting of council of ministers and influences its decisions.
- He guides, directs, controls, and coordinates the activities of all the ministers.
- He can bring about the collapse of the council of ministers by resigning from office.
Source: Laxmikanth Polity