Q. Consider the following statements regarding functions of Vice President:
1.He acts as the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
2.He acts as President when a vacancy occurs in the office of the President.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: The functions of Vice-President are two-fold:
- He acts as the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha. In this capacity, his powers and functions are similar to those of the Speaker of Lok Sabha.
- In this respect, he resembles the American vice-president who also acts as the Chairman of the Senate–the Upper House of the American legislature.
- He acts as President when a vacancy occurs in the office of the President due to his resignation, impeachment, and death or otherwise.
- He can act as President only for a maximum period of six months within which a new President has to be elected.
- Further, when the sitting President is unable to discharge his functions due to absence, illness or any other cause, the Vice-President discharges his functions until the President resumes his office.
Source: Laxmikanth Polity