Q. Consider the following statements regarding Gold Ore Reserves
1. The largest reserves of gold ores in India is located in Bihar
2. Globally the largest reserves of gold ores located in South Africa
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Recently, the Union Minister of Mines has informed Rajya Sabha about the Gold Ore Reserves present in India.
About Gold reserves in India:
- According to National Mineral Inventory data, India has 501.83 million tonnes of gold ore reserves as of April 1, 2015.
- Out of these, 22 million tonnes were placed under reserves category and the rest under remaining resources category.
- The largest reserves of gold ores are located in Bihar (44%), followed by Rajasthan (25%), Karnataka (21%), West Bengal (3%), Andhra Pradesh (3%) and Jharkhand (2%).
- The remaining 2% reserves are in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.
- U.S has the highest gold reserves with 8,133.5 tonnes of total gold reserves, followed by Germany with 3,366.8 tonnes