Q. Consider the following statements regarding Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign
1. It is a campaign of the Indian Army.
2. The entire area of Cherrapunji is going to be adopted for plantation.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
The Union Home Minister has launched the Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign at Sohra (Cherrapunji).
About Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign:
- Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign is a campaign of the Assam Rifles.
- Under the campaign, the entire area of Cherrapunji is going to be adopted by Assam Rifles for plantation.
- So when the trees are cut for fuel and other uses, 80% of the total land will be planted with traditional and long lifespan trees. The remaining 20% will be used for animal feed, ornamental plants, and nursery which will meet all the requirements and help reduce the feeling of long lifespan trees.
- With this technique, multi-level farming is done, and the forest grows 30 times faster and after 3 years it becomes free of maintenance.