Q. Consider the following statements regarding Indigenous Aircraft Carrier(IAC) ‘Vikrant’
1. It is the first aircraft carrier designed and built in India.
2. All the material and equipment of Vikrant is completely indigenous.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
The much-awaited sea trials of India’s maiden indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC-1) ‘Vikrant’ have begun recently.
About Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) ‘Vikrant’:
- IAC-1 Vikrant has been designed by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design (DND). It is being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited(CSL), a Public Sector Shipyard under the Ministry of Shipping.
Key Features of IAC-01 Vikrant:
- Vikrant is the first aircraft carrier designed and built in India. It has over 76 percent of the material and equipment which is indigenous.
- Vikrant is named after the Majestic-class aircraft carrier, which was operated by the Indian Navy from 1961 to 1997.
- The ship is 262 m long, It has over 2,300 compartments designed for a crew of around 1700 people including specialised cabins to accommodate women officers.