Q. Consider the following statements regarding IPCC (Inter government panel of Climate Change)
1. It was established by the UNEP and WMO.
2. It does not conduct its own research
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Both the statements are correct
- It is the international body for assessing the science related to climate change.
- It was set up in 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to provide policymakers with regular assessments of the scientific basis of climate change, its impacts and future risks, and options for adaptation and mitigation.
- Like the UNFCC, the IPCC has nearly 200 countries as members, representing almost all of the mankind. While it does not conduct its own scientific research, it assesses and synthesizes scientific output from around the world