Q. Consider the following statements regarding Lightning
1. Increasing global temperature will increase the frequency of lightning
2. Intercloud or intracloud (IC) lightning is more dangerous than the Cloud to ground (CG) lightning
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
A study published in 2015 found out that, an increase of one degree Celsius would increase the frequency of lightning strikes by 12 percent.
Urbanisation, increased population and a warmer climate guarantee an intensification of human exposure to lightning hazards.
What is lightning?
Lightning is a very rapid and massive discharge of electricity in the atmosphere. It is the process of occurrence of a natural ‘electrical discharge of very short duration and high voltage between a cloud and the ground or within a cloud.
- There are two types of lightning. Such as,
- Intercloud or intracloud (IC) lightning: These are visible and harmless.
- Cloud to ground (CG) lightning: This is harmful as the ‘high electric voltage discharge for very short time leads to electrocution.
Source: Down To Earth