Q. Consider the following statements regarding misconduct of members of Rajya Sabha
1. The Rules of the House empower Parliament to inflict any punishment on its members
2. The power to suspend an MP is vested in the house, not the chairman.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- There are speculations in the Rajya Sabha (RS) over the punishment to MP for the misconduct.
- Chairman has the power to conduct smooth proceedings of the house.
- If any rules are violated, the Chairman has the power to initiate disciplinary action.
- However, the power to suspend an MP is vested in the house, not the chairman. The chairman only names the member, while the Parliamentary Affairs minister or any other minister moves the motion for suspending the member.
- But the Rules of the House do not empower Parliament to inflict any punishment on its members other than suspension for creating disorder in the House.