Q. Consider the following statements regarding “NATCOM project”:
1.It was launched by the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) for communicating to the UNFCCC about anthropogenic emissions of GHGs from various sources.
2.It is a World Bank project funded under the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: The Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Government of India, has initiated a National Communication (NATCOM) project for communicating to the UNFCCC about anthropogenic emissions of GHGs from various sources and their removal by sinks not controlled by the Montreal Protocol.
- As a UNDP project funded under the Global Environment Facility (GEF), NATCOM is as per the commitment under UNFCCC.
- The NATCOM process comprises comprehensive scientific and technical exercises for estimating GHG emissions from different sectors, reduce uncertainties in current estimations, develop sector- and technology-specific emission coefficients pertinent to India, and assess the adverse impacts of climate change and strategies for adapting to these impacts.
- NATCOM will also provide the general description of steps taken or envisaged to implement the convention.
- NATCOM will lead to developing a reliable database and capacity that will help to fulfill commitments under the Convention.
- The process is also expected to initiate efforts to identify areas of Targeted Research on climate change according to sustainable development plans of the country.