Q. Consider the following statements regarding National Disaster Responsive Force (NDRF):
1. It functions under ministry of Home Affairs.
2. It consists of both military and Para-military battalion forces.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Today NDRF is a distinguished, unique Force across the country functioning under the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, within the overall command, control and leadership of the Director General, NDRF.
- At present, National Disaster Response Force consists of 12 battalions, three each from the BSF and CRPF and two each from CISF, ITBP and SSB.
- Each battalion have 18 self-contained specialist search and rescue teams of 45 personnel each including engineers, technicians, electricians, dog squads and medical/paramedics.
- The total strength of each battalion is 1,149. All the 12 battalions have been equipped and trained to respond natural as well as man-made disasters.
- Battalions are also trained and equipped for response during chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) emergencies.