Q. Consider the following statements regarding national parks:
1. They are established by respective government in accordance with environment protection act, 1980.
2. They enjoy a greater degree of protection than sanctuaries.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
The Wild Life (Protection) Act (WPA) of 1972 provided for the declaration of National Parks by the State Government in addition to the declaration of wildlife sanctuaries.
- National Parks are declared in areas that are considered to be of adequate ecological, geomorphologic and natural significance although within the law, the difference in conservation value of a National Park from that of a sanctuary is not specified in the WPA 1972.
- National Parks enjoy a greater degree of protection than sanctuaries.
- Certain activities which are regulated in sanctuaries, such as grazing of livestock, are prohibited in National Parks.
Source: Shankar page no: 175