Q. Consider the following statements regarding National Policy for Rare Diseases, 2021:
1 Rare diseases that require lifelong treatment with a relatively lower cost have been categorized under Group
2 Central government shall provide one-time treatment support under Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi scheme for diseases listed under Group 1.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
Both statements are correct
About National Policy for Rare Diseases,2021: The policy aims at lowering the incidence and prevalence of rare diseases based on an integrated and comprehensive preventive strategy comprising:
- awareness generation
- premarital, post-marital, pre-conception, and post-conception screening
- counseling programmes to prevent births of children with rare diseases
- enable access to affordable health care to patients of rare diseases.
Categorisation: The policy divides Rare Diseases into three groups, namely:
- Group 1:Disorders amenable to one-time curative treatment.
- Group 2: Diseases requiring long-term / lifelong treatment with a relatively lower cost of treatment.
- Group 3:Diseases for which definitive treatment is available, but challenges are to make optimal patient selection for benefit, very high cost, and lifelong therapy.