Q. Consider the following statements regarding New Generation Akash Missile (Akash-NG)
1. Akash-NG uses ramjet engines
2. The weight of the rocket is reduced to increase its range and to carry more missiles.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Defence Research & Development Organisation(DRDO) has successfully flight-tested the New Generation Akash Missile (Akash-NG).
About Akash-NG missile:
- Rocket Motor: Akash-NG uses a two-pulse solid rocket motor that replaces the old ramjet on the legacy Akash missile.
- The new motor not just reaches out to 30 kilometres (km), but also generates a high terminal velocity to strike even the fastest and most agile enemy fighters.
- Lighter Weight: The weight of the rocket has been brought down from 700 kg to 350 kg. This not just increases range, but also lets the vehicle carry more missiles.
- New Seeker Head: Akash-NG has a new seeker head. The seeker locks onto the enemy aircraft and continuously guides the missile to impact the target.