Q. Consider the following statements regarding Phosphorus rocks or phosphate rocks
1. Phosphate rocks are majorly produced from Jharkhand and Odisha in India
2. More than 85% of the phosphate rock mined is used to manufacture phosphate fertilizers.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Recently Union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers informed Parliament that India will explore indigenous deposits of phosphatic rock, a step towards becoming Aatma Nirbhar in fertilizer production.
About Phospate rock:
- Phosphorus rocks or phosphate rocks are unprocessed ores.
- Phosphate rock deposits can be sedimentary (formed from sediment deposited by water or air) or igneous (having solidified from lava or magma).
- Worldwide, more than 85% of the phosphate rock mined is used to manufacture phosphate fertilizers.
Phosphorus in India
- Phosphate rocks are majorly produced only from two States in India, namely Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
- Currently, there exists 30 lakh MT of phosphorite deposits in the country
- These deposits are available in Rajasthan, central part of peninsular India, Hirapur (Madhya Pradesh), Lalitpur (Uttar Pradesh), Mussoorie syncline, and Cuddapah basin (Andhra Pradesh).
Source: All India Radio