Q. Consider the following statements regarding Polymetallic nodules
1. These are rocks that are rich in cobalt, copper, manganese, nickel
2. Polymetallic nodules do not contain rare earth minerals
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- These are rocks that are rich in cobalt, copper, manganese, nickel, rare-earth elements and titanium.
- The Pacific basin is thought to contain more than 30 billion tonnes of polymetallic nodules
- Scientists and entrepreneurs have been researching methods of extracting them since the 1960s.
- In 1994, the International Seabed Authority was established to regulate mining efforts and protect the seabed environment.