Q. Consider the following statements regarding Social protection floor (SPF)
1. It is a basic set of social rights derived from human rights treaties, including access to essential services and social transfers
2. International Labour Organization so far did not recognise social protection floor
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- The United Nations mooted a social protection floor (SPF) initiative after the global financial crisis.
- The social protection floor (SPF) is the first level of social protection in a national social protection system. It is a basic set of social rights derived from human rights treaties, including access to essential services (such as health, education, water and sanitation, etc) and social transfers, in cash or in-kind, to guarantee income security, food security, adequate nutrition security.
- The report of the Advisory Committee of the ILO, in which India was also represented provides a strong rationale for instituting a universal SPF during economic crises.
- As a result, all constituents of the ILO adopted Recommendation 202 on social protection floors at the International Labour Conference in 2012.