Q. Consider the following statements regarding the composite materials:
1. It is better than traditional materials are because they improve the properties of their base materials and are applicable in many situations.
2. They are used in the development of Agni missile and Light Combat Aircraft – Tejas.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
A composite material is a combination of two materials with different physical and chemical properties.
- When they are combined, they create a material which is specialized to do a certain job, for instance to become stronger, lighter or resistant to electricity.
- They can also improve strength and stiffness.
- The reason for their use over traditional materials is because they improve the properties of their base materials and are applicable in many situations.
- Use of composite materials in indigenously developed aircraft (Tejas), missiles (Agni) and in defense and civilian sectors is poised for big growth, where Indian companies are set to get into manufacturing mode.
Source: The Hindu