Q. Consider the following statements regarding the Dharwar Rock System:
1. It is the first metamorphic sedimentary rocks in India.
2. They were first studied in Dharwar region of Karnataka.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Dharwar system is later than the Archean system but older than the other systems.
- The Dharwar period of rock formation has been largely fixed from 2500 million years ago to 1800 million years ago.
- Dharwar Rock System is special because it is the first metamorphic sedimentary rocks in India.
- They are named Dharwar system because they were first studied in Dharwar region of Karnataka.
- But they are also found in Aravallis, Tamil Nadu, Chota-nagpur plateau, Meghalaya, Delhi, and the Himalayas region.
- The Dharwar rocks are rich in iron ore, manganese, lead, zinc, gold, silver etc.
Source: NCERT – XI Fundamentals of Physical Geography