Q. Consider the following statements regarding the National Biodiversity Authority (NBA):
1. It was established in 2003 by the Central Government to implement India’s Biological Diversity Act (2002).
2. Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
The National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) was established in 2003 by the Central Government to implement India’s Biological Diversity Act (2002).
- The NBA is a statutory body and that performs facilitative, regulatory and advisory function for Government of India on issue of Conservation, sustainable use of biological resource and fair equitable sharing of benefits of use.
- The NBA with its Headquarters in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India delivers its mandate through a structure that comprises of the Authority, secretariat, SBBs, BMCs and Expert Committees.
- Since its establishment, NBA has supported creation of SBBs in 28 States, facilitated establishment of around 2, 05,794 BMCs, and advised notification.