Q. Consider the following statements regarding the National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM):
1. The first National List of Essential Medicines of India was prepared and released in eighth plan.
2. The list is prepared by Ministry of AYUSH.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
The National list of essential medicines is one of the key instruments in balanced healthcare delivery system of a country which inter alia includes accessible, affordable quality medicine at all the primary, secondary, tertiary levels of healthcare.
- The first National List of Essential Medicines of India was prepared and released in 1996 (Eighth plan).
- The National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM), prepared by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, is a list of medicines considered essential and high priority for India’s health needs.
- DPCOs are issued by the Government, in exercise of the powers conferred under section 3 of the ECA to ensure that the medicines listed under NELM are available at a reasonable price to the general public.
Source: The Hindu