Q. Consider the following statements regarding United Nations (UN):
1. All UN Member States are members of the General Assembly.
2. The Secretary-General of UN is appointed for a 5-year, renewable term.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
The UN’s Membership has grown from the original 51 Member States in 1945 to the current 193 Member States.
- All UN Member States are members of the General Assembly. States are admitted to membership by a decision of the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council.
- The Secretary-General is Chief Administrative Officer of the UN – and is also a symbol of the Organization’s ideals and an advocate for all the world’s peoples, especially the poor and vulnerable.
- The Secretary-General is appointed by the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Security Council for a 5-year, renewable term.
- The current Secretary-General, and the 9th occupant of the post, is António Guterres of Portugal, who took office on 1 January 2017.