Q. Consider the following statements regarding Universal Postal union (UPU):
1. It is a UN-specialized agency.
2. A non-member country of the United Nations cannot become a UPU member.
3. It was established by the Treaty of Bern.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- Statement 1 is correct: It is a United Nations specialized agency. It is also the second-oldest international organization worldwide.
- Statement 2 is incorrect: Any non-member country of the United Nations can become a UPU member provided that its request is approved by at least two-thirds of the member countries of the UPU. The UPU now has 192 member countries.
- Statement 3 is correct: Universal Postal Union(UPU) was established by the Treaty of Bern in 1874.