Q. Consider the following statements “Service Area Approach (SAA)”:
1. It is introduced in April 1989 for planned and orderly development of rural and semi-urban areas.
2. It is applicable to Scheduled Commercial Banks only.
Which of the statements given above is/are NOT correct?
The Service Area Approach (SAA) introduced in April 1989 for planned and orderly development of rural and semi-urban areas was applicable to all scheduled commercial banks including Regional Rural Banks.
- Under SAA, each bank branch in rural and semi-urban area was designated to serve an area of 15 to 25 villages and the branch was responsible for meeting the needs of bank credit of its service area.
- The primary objective of SAA was to increase productive lending and forge effective linkages between bank credit, production, productivity and increase in income levels.
- The SAA scheme was reviewed from time to time and appropriate changes were made in the scheme to make it more effective.
Source: TMH Ramesh Singh