Q. Consider the following statements with respect to “Leader of the Opposition”::
1. Only Lok Sabha has Leader of the Opposition.
2. The leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha got the statutory recognition in 1977.
Which of the following codes below given is/are correct?
Statement 1 is incorrect:
- In each House of Parliament, there is the “Leader of the Opposition”.
- The leader of the largest Opposition party having not less than one-tenth seats of the total strength of the House is recognised as the leader of the Opposition in that House.
Statement 2 is correct:
- In a parliamentary system of government, the leader of the opposition has a significant role to play.
- His main functions are to provide a constructive criticism of the policies of the government and to provide an alternative government.
- Therefore, the leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha were accorded statutory recognition in 1977.