Q. Consider the following statements:
1. Balaji Baji Rao succeeded as the Peshwa after the death of his father Baji Rao.
2. Third battle of panipat was happened during Baji Rao.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Balaji Baji Rao (1740–1761): Balaji Baji Rao succeeded as the Peshwa after the death of his father Baji Rao.
- Known as Nana Sahib, he proved to be a good administrator and an expert in handling financial matters.
- The third battle of Panipat, 1761 is one of the decisive battles in the history of India.
- The defeat in the battle dealt a severe blow to the Marathas and the Mughal Empire and thereby paved the way for the rise of the British power in India.
- By the treaty of Salbai, in 1782, Ragunath Rao was pensioned off. Following this, peace prevailed between the Company and the Marathas for about two decades.
Source: Tamil Nadu state board.