Q. Consider the following statements
1. He belonged to the Ezhava caste.
2. He involved in Vaikom Satyagraha which is against untouchability and caste discrimination in Hindu society
3. His works include Atmopadesa Śatakam and Daiva Dasakam
Which of the following personality is described in the statements above?
Recently, The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has paid tributes to Sree Narayana Guru on his Jayanti.
About Narayana Guru:
- Narayana Guru (1855 – 1928) was a philosopher, spiritual leader and social reformer in India.
- He was born into a family that belonged to the Ezhava caste.
- He led a reform movement against the injustice in the caste-ridden society of Kerala in order to promote spiritual enlightenment and social equality.
- Shri Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam (also known as SNDP Yogam) is an Indian spiritual organization that was formally founded by Dr. Padmanabhan Palpu in 1903, with the guidance of Shri Narayana Guru. The main aim of SNDP Yogam was to spiritually uplift the people of the Ezhava/Tiyyar communities.
- Vaikom Satyagraha (1924–25) was a social protest in erstwhile Travancore against untouchability and caste discrimination in Hindu society of Kerala. Sree Narayana Guru involved himself with the Vaikom Satyagraha and extended much co-operation.
- He published 45 works in Malayalam, Sanskrit and Tamil languages which include Atmopadesa Śatakam, a hundred-verse spiritual poem and Daiva Dasakam, a universal prayer in ten verses.
Source : PIB