Q. Consider the following statements:
1. Moringa (drumstick tree) is a leguminous evergreen tree.
2. Tamarind tree is endemic to South Asia.
3. In India, most of the tamarind is collected as minor forest produce.
4. India exports tamarind and seeds of moringa.
5. Seeds of moringa and tamarind can be used in the production of biofuels.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
Why this Question) India starts export of Moringa powder (December 2020). Health benefits of Moringa and tamarind.
Exp) Option b is correct.
Statement 1 is incorrect. Moringa is a green leafy fast-growing deciduous plant, native to the Indian subcontinent. It is a non-leguminous tree.
Statement 2 is incorrect. Tamarind is a leguminous tree bearing edible fruit that is indigenous to tropical Africa (and not endemic to South Asia).
Statement 3 is correct. Tamarind is collected mostly as the minor forest produce in India.
Statement 4 is correct. India exports tamarind and moringa seeds to the US, Germany, China, Canada, South Korea, and other European countries.
Statement 5 is correct. Seeds of moringa and tamarind can be used for biofuel. The oil from the Moringa tree is considered to be a more sustainable biodiesel feedstock than jatropha oil.