Q. Consider the following statements:
1. Shah Jahan despatched an army under the command of the Rajput general Raja Jai Singh to defeat Shivaji and annex Bijapur.
2. The treaty of Purandar was signed between Shivaji and Mughals.
Which of the statements above given is/are correct?
In 1664, Shivaji attacked Surat, the major Mughal port in Arabian Sea and his soldiers plundered the city.
- Aurangzeb despatched an army under the command of the Rajput general Raja Jai Singh to defeat Shivaji and annex Bijapur.
- At that time, Prince Muazzam, later Bahadur Shah I, was the Governor of the Deccan. Jai Singh made elaborate plans to encircle Shivaji on all sides.
- Even Raigarh was under threat. Purandar was besieged in June 1665. The heroic resistance of Shivaji became futile. Therfore he decided to come to negotiate with Jai Singh.
- According to the treaty of Purandar signed on 11 June 1665 Shivaji yielded the fortresses that he had captured and agreed to serve as a mansabdar and assist the Mughals in conquering Bijapur.
Source: Tamil Nadu state board.