Q. Consider the following statements:
1. The fourth Buddhist Council was hosted by Pushyamitra Shunga.
2. Kanishka was supported mahayana Sect.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
The best known of the Kushana kings was Kanishka, who is thought to have ruled from 78 CE till 101 or 102 CE.
- Ironically, 78 CE is held to be the beginning of the “Saka era” in the Indian calendar.
- Historians are, hence, divided about Kanishka’s period. His rule is said to have started anywhere between 78 and 144 CE.
- Kanishka was an ardent follower of Buddhism and hosted the fourth Buddhist mahasangha or council (the third council had been held in Pataliputra during Asoka’s reign).
- By now Mahayana Buddhism had become the dominant sect, and Kanishka supported the missions sent to China to preach Buddhism.
Source: Tamil Nadu state board.