Q. Consider the following terms of Vijayanagara Kingdom:
1. Pettai———Commercial Centres
3. Kariya-karta———Executive Agent
Which of the above given pair is/are NOT correctly matched?
The king was the ultimate authority in the kingdom. He was also the supreme commander of the army.
- He was assisted by several high-ranking officers. The chief minister was known as the mahapradhani.
- He led a number of lower-ranking officers, like Dalavay (commander), Vassal (guard of the palace), Rayasam (secretary/ accountant), Adaippam (personal attendant), and Kariya-karta (executive agents).
- As Harihara I and his immediate successors consolidated their territorial acquisitions, they tried to organize the territory by creating administrative divisions called rajyas or provinces each under a governor called pradhani.
- Chiefs controlled production within their Nayaktanam territories by creating commercial centres (pettai) and markets, by encouraging settlement of cultivators and artisans with tax concessions, by creating and maintaining irrigation facilities, etc.
Source: Tamil Nadu state board.