Q. Indian government has recently made the CoWIN platform an open-sourced platform. Which of the following is/are the benefit of Open-Source applications?
1. Cost saving
2. Better bug-fixing of application
3. Less collaboration between developers
Select the correct option from the code given below
CoWIN is the digital platform for the Covid-19 vaccination drive. Earlier this month, the government said that India would allow CoWIN to be an open-source for all countries to access, adapt and use, thereby becoming one of many countries that have open-sourced their government projects.
About Open-Source software:
Red Hat, the world’s leading open-source software solutions company, explains open source as “a term that originally referred to open source software (OSS). Open-source software is code that is designed to be publicly accessible — anyone can see, modify, and distribute the code as they see fit.
Benefits of OSS:
- OSS is often cheaper, more flexible, and has more longevity than its proprietary peers because it is developed by communities rather than a single author or company.
- Software and bugs go hand-in-hand. Proprietary software does what is called ‘blackbox’ testing. In open-source, the code is open, which makes it possible for many more people to look at the code, and they can do a much better job than blackbox testing
- More collaboration, learning and development of OSS.
Source: Business Standard