Q. Justice Amitava Roy panel was seen in news recently. The committee has been formed towards which of the following objective?
Justice Amitava Roy panel on prison reforms:
In 2018, the Supreme Court-appointed this panel. The committee submitted its report on February 2020 with major recommendations includes
- For overcrowding
- Special fast-track courts should be set up to deal with petty offences.
- Lawyers – prisoners ratio: there should be at least one lawyer for every 30 prisoners.
- For Understaffing
- The Supreme Court should pass directions to start the recruitment process against vacancies
- There should be the use of video-conferencing for trial.
- For Prisoners
- Every new prisoner should be allowed a free phone call a day to his family members to see him through his first week in jail.
- Alternative punishments should be explored.