Q. “Peoples’ Biodiversity Register (PBR)” is often seen in news, is associated with which of the following?
The path breaking Biological Diversity Act, 2002 not only supports the conservation and the sustainable use of biological resources, it also promotes an equitable sharing of benefits that come from their use.
- This one law has the potential to revolutionalise the rights of communities over the natural resources they live with.
- The BDA has made it mandatory for every local self-governing institution in rural and urban areas to constitute a Biodiversity Management Committee (BMC) within their area of jurisdiction.
- Once constituted, the BMC must prepare a Peoples’ Biodiversity Register (PBR) in consultation with local people.
- A PBR comprehensively documents traditional knowledge of local biological resources.
- The BMC is the custodian of these resources, and any industry that extracts biological resources from these areas has to share part of its revenue with the local community.