Q. The 58th Constitutional Amendment of 1987 related to which of the following?
Originally, the Constitution of India did not make any provision with respect to an authoritative text of the Constitution in the Hindi language. Later, a provision in this regard was made by the 58th Constitutional Amendment Act of 19871. This amendment inserted a new Article 394-A in the last part of the Constitution i.e., Part XXII. This article contains the following provisions:
- The President shall cause to be published under his authority:
- The translation of the Constitution in Hindi language. The modifications which are necessary to bring it in conformity with the language, style and terminology adopted in the authoritative texts of the Central Acts in Hindi can be made in it. All the amendments of the Constitution made before such publication should be incorporated in it.
- The translation in Hindi of every amendment of the constitution made in English.
- The translation of the Constitution and its every amendment published shall be construed to have the same meaning as the original text in English. If any difficulty arises in this matter, the President shall cause the Hindi text to be revised suitably.
- The translation of the Constitution and its every amendment published shall be deemed to be, for all purposes, its authoritative text in Hindi.