Q. The “Head on Generation (HOG)” technology is sometimes in news is related to which of the following?
The South-Central Railway (SCR) announced the introduction of a new technology – Head on Generation (HOG) system – in Telangana Express where power from the engine would be supplied to the entire train for lighting and air-conditioning.
- The trains like these have two power cars known as End on Generators (EOG) on either end to provide electricity to all the coaches.
- These power cars produce electricity by the diesel generators with each using 40 litres of fuel per hour for a non-AC coach and 65-70 litres of diesel per hour per coach in case of an AC coach.
- The new HOG technology obviates the need for using diesel as power is tapped from the overhead electric traction lines through a pantograph to the train engine and the same is distributed to the trailing coaches.
- Earlier, the power supply from the overhead electric traction was being used to only run the engine and haul the coaches.
- “The new system does not require any diesel and hence, will reduce air and noise pollution, besides providing uninterrupted illumination in all the coaches.
- On an average, it will reduce carbon emission by 700 metric tonnes per year per train”.
Source: The Hindu