Q. Which among the following trade union was established earliest?
Explanation: Trade Union:
The trade unions voice the demands of the industrial workers. They are also known as labour groups. A peculiar feature of trade unions in India is that they are associated either directly or indirectly with different political parties. They include:
- All-India Trade Union Congress (AITUC)–affiliated to CPI
- Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC)–affiliated to the Congress (1947)
- Hind MazdoorSabha (HMS)–affiliated to the Socialists (1948)
- Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU)– affiliated to the CPM (1970)
- BharatiyaMazdoorSangh (BMS)– affiliated to the BJP (1955)
First Trade Union in India: All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) was founded in 1920 with LalaLajpatRai as its first president. Upto 1945, Congressmen, Socialists and Communists worked in the AITUC which was the central trade union organisation of workers of India. Subsequently, the trade union movement got split on political lines.