Q. Which of the following acts relevant provisions are subsumed by Code on Wages Bill, 2019?
1. The Minimum Wages Act, 1948.
2. The Payment of Wages Act, 1936.
3. The Payment of Bonus Act, 1965.
4. The Equal Remuneration Act, 1976.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
Lok Sabha passed the Code on Wages Bill, 2019, which amends and consolidates laws relating to wages/bonus and universalizes the provisions of minimum wages and timely payment of wages to all employees irrespective of the sector and wage ceiling.
- At present, the provisions of both Minimum Wages Act and Payment of Wages Act apply to workers below a particular wage ceiling working in Scheduled Employments only.
- “This Bill would ensure Right to Sustenance for every worker and intends to increase the legislative protection of minimum wage from existing about 40% to 100% workforce.”
- A release issued by the Ministry noted that the Code on Wages Bill, 2019, subsumes relevant provisions of the Minimum Wages Act, 1948, the Payment of Wages Act, 1936, the Payment of Bonus Act, 1965 and the Equal Remuneration Act, 1976.
- After the enactment of the Bill, all these four Acts will get repealed.
Source: The Hindu