Q. Which of the following is/are constraint/constraints for development of integrated value chain system of Agriculture sector?
1. Low public and private investments in agriculture since the early 1990s.
2. Inability of sub – market yards to provide opportunities for open auction.
3. Poor maintenance of rural roads.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
constraint/constraints for development of integrated value chain system of Agriculture sector.
- Public and private investments in agriculture have remained low since the early 90s. Bottlenecks in implementation and a high degree of uncertainty have further reduced investor appetite for agricultural investments.
- Inability to acquire land for setting up of market yards, resulting from the restrictions on land leasing and land acquisition, is another major constraint.
- Even the existing marketing infrastructure suffers because of a lack of finances, manpower and proper facilities.
- Sub-market yards largely function as a location for government procurement and do not provide opportunities for open auction.
- Further, they are irregular in their operations and handle less than five per cent of the volume handled in principal yards.
- Poor maintenance of rural roads is a major constraint as well. Linkages with local and feeder roads remain sub-optimal.
- In the electricity sector, separate feeders for supply of power to agriculture and domestic electrification have not been carried out in many states.
Source: TMH Ramesh Singh