Q. Which of the following is/are correctly matched?
1. Mechanically formed sedimentary rock:Sandstone
2. Organically formed sedimentary rock:Dolomites
3. Chemically formed sedimentary rock:Shale
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
Sedimentary rocks are formed by the accumulation of sediments. There are three basic types of sedimentary rocks.
- Clastic sedimentary rocks such as breccia, conglomerate, sandstone, siltstone, and shale are formed from mechanical weathering debris.
- Chemical sedimentary rocks, such as rock salt, iron ore, chert, flint, some dolomites, and some limestone, form when dissolved materials precipitate from solution.
- Organic sedimentary rocks such as coal, some dolomites, and some limestone, form from the accumulation of plant or animal debris.
Source: G C Leong