Q. Which of the following is/are recommendations of “Sarkaria Commission”?
1. Permanent Inter-state council should be established under article 263.
2. Residuary powers of taxation should be continue with parliament.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
In 1983, the Central government appointed a three-member Commission on Centre–state relations under the chairmanship of R S Sarkaria, a retired judge of the Supreme Court. The Commission made 247 recommendations to improve Centre–state relations. The important recommendations are mentioned below:
- A permanent Inter-State Council called the Inter-Governmental Council should be set up under Article 263.
- Article 356 (President’s Rule) should be used very sparingly, in extreme cases as a last resort when all the available alternatives fail.
- The institution of All-India Services should be further strengthened and some more such services should be created.
- The residuary powers of taxation should continue to remain with the Parliament, while the other residuary powers should be placed in the Concurrent List.
- When the president withholds his assent to the state bills, the reasons should be communicated to the state government.