Q. Which of the following is/are salient feature/s of Indian Nuclear Doctrine?
1.Building and maintaining a credible minimum deterrent.
2.A posture of “No First Use”.
3.Nuclear retaliatory attacks can only be authorized by the civilian political leadership.
Choose the correct answer from below given codes:
Explanation: India adopted its nuclear doctrine in 2003. The salient features of this doctrine are as follows:
- Building and maintaining a credible minimum deterrent.
- A posture of “No First Use” – nuclear weapons will only be used in retaliation against a nuclear attack on Indian Territory or on Indian forces anywhere.
- Nuclear retaliation to a first strike will be massive and designed to inflict unacceptable damage.
- Nuclear retaliatory attacks can only be authorized by the civilian political leadership through the Nuclear Command Authority.
- Non-use of nuclear weapons against nonnuclear weapon states.
Source: Laxmikanth Polity