Q. Which of the following is/are the characteristics of commercial livestock ranching/farming?
1.It is carried on temporary parcels/ranches.
2.The parcels/ranches are fenced to regulate grazing.
3.It is a specialized activity in which only one type of animal is reared.
Choose the correct answer from below given codes:
Explanation: Unlike nomadic herding, commercial livestock rearing is more organised and capital intensive.
- Commercial livestock ranching is essentially associated with western cultures and is practised on permanent ranches.
- These ranches cover large areas and are divided into a number of parcels, which are fenced to regulate the grazing.
- When the grass of one parcel is grazed, animals are moved to another parcel. The number of animals in a pasture is kept according to the carrying capacity of the pasture.
- This is a specialized activity in which only one type of animal is reared. Important animals include sheep, cattle, goats and horses.
- Products such as meat, wool, hides and skin are processed and packed scientifically and exported to different world markets.
Source: NCERT – Fundamental of Human Geography