Q. Which of the following is/are the examples of metamorphic rocks?
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
In the process of metamorphism in some rocks grains or minerals get arranged in layers or lines. Such an arrangement of minerals or grains in metamorphic rocks is called foliation or lineation.
- Sometimes minerals or materials of different groups are arranged into alternating thin to thick layers appearing in light and dark shades.
- Such a structure in metamorphic rocks is called banding and rocks displaying banding are called banded rocks.
- Types of metamorphic rocks depend upon original rocks that were subjected to metamorphism.
- Metamorphic rocks are classified into two major groups-foliated rocks and non-foliated rocks.
- Gneissoid, granite, syenite, slate, schist, marble, quartzite etc. are some examples of metamorphic rocks.
Source: NCERT – XI Fundamentals of Physical Geography