Q. Which of the following measure/s reduce the wildlife collision with trains?
1.Vulnerable patches for wildlife to be identified as wild life crossing spots.
2.Electronically tag prominent wildlife.
3.Coordination between Ministry of Environment & Forests and Railways.
Choose the correct answer from below given codes:
Explanation: Wildlife (elephant, leopard, etc) deaths due to collision with trains:
- Coordination between MoEF and Railways has to be enhanced to ensure the safety of wildlife.
- Vulnerable patches for wildlife to be identified as wild life crossing spots, and signage put up to warn train drivers and other railway personnel, to enable them to give directions for trains to slow down their speed in these patches in the normal course.
- Update the list of well-known vulnerable patches for wild life, and conveying them to the Railways.
- Electronically tag prominent wildlife like elephants, leopards, etc particularly in high traffic areas, so that wildlife and forest personnel could keep track of their movements, and warn railway officials well in time to enable them to avoid accident.
- Once they are electronically tagged, forest personnel could track their movements, and keep them from harm.
- Improvement in infrastructure for forest and Railway staff, such as, equipped with walkie talkies, constant connection with the control room, etc.
Source: SHANKAR IAS Environment