Q. Which of the following pair/s is/are correctly matched?
1.Kurinji : Hilly region
2.Marutham : Forested region
3.Mullai : Riverine tract
Choose the correct answer from below given codes:
Explanation: Sangam poems help us understand the social formation of the time. According to the thinai concept, Tamilagam was divided into five landscapes or eco-regions namely Kurinji, Marutam, Mullai, Neytal and Palai.
Each region had distinct characteristics – a presiding deity, people and cultural life according to the environmental conditions, as follows:
- Kurinji: hilly region: hunting and gathering.
- Marutham: riverine tract: agriculture using plough and irrigation.
- Mullai: forested region: pastoralism combined with shifting cultivation
- Neythal: coastal land: fishing and salt making.
- Palai: parched land. Unsuitable for cultivation and hence people took to cattle lifting and robbery.
Source: Tamil Nadu NCERT