Q. Which of the following reasons is/are responsible for heavy rains in recent years?
1. Increasing temperatures at the poles
2. More CO2 emission into the atmosphere
3. Faster movement of storms in mid latitudes
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
How Climate change can cause floods?
- Experts say the more CO2 the world emits into the atmosphere, the warmer will be the air temperature. Warmer air holds more moisture and results in excess rainfall, which leads to flooding.
- Additionally, increasing temperatures at the poles result in slower movement of storms in the mid-latitudes. As a result, storms linger longer at a specific place.
- The combination of a slow-moving storm and the presence of surplus moisture in the atmosphere results in intense rainfall in one location within a short period of time.
- In 2018, Kerala, for example, witnessed 414 mm of rain in just three days. Rainfall for the period of August 1 to 19, 2018, in Kerala was 164% more than normal.