Q. Which of the following state (s)/place (s) of India is/are come (s) under Seismic Zone IV?
1. Entire North eastern India
2. Delhi-NCR region
3. Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
The Bureau of Indian Standards has classified regions in India into four seismic zones on the basis of historical seismic activity.
- These are zones II, III, IV and V. Among these, Zone V is the most seismically active region and zone II is the least active.
- According to Modified Mercalli scale, the seismic zone intensity is/are classified as zone II (low intensity zone), zone III (moderate intensity zone), zone IV (severe intensity zone) and zone V (very severe intensity zone).
According to the Ministry of Earth Sciences:
- Zone V includes entire northeastern India, parts of Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Rann of Kutch in Gujarat, parts of North Bihar and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Zone-IV includes the remaining parts of Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh. Delhi-NCR region, Sikkim, northern parts of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal, parts of Gujarat and small portions of Maharashtra near the west coast and Rajasthan also fall in this zone.
- Regions under zone III are Goa, Kerala, Lakshadweep, and remaining parts of Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and West Bengal, parts of Punjab, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Andhra Pradesh, Tamilnadu and Karnataka.
- The remaining portion of the country falls under zone II.
Source: Indian Express