Q. Which of the following statement about National Biofuel Policy, 2018 is/are correct?
1. The Policy is aimed at reducing the dependence on oil imports by encouraging fuel blending.
2. The National Biofuel Coordination Committee (NBCC) is the agency to coordinate this blending programme.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
What are the salient features of National Biofuel Policy, 2018?
- The Policy is aimed at reducing the dependence on oil imports by encouraging fuel blending;
- The Policy categorizes biofuels as –
- ‘Basic Biofuels’ viz. 1st Generation (1G) bioethanol & biodiesel and
- ‘Advanced Biofuels’: 2nd Generation (2G) ethanol, Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) to drop-in fuels, 3rd Generation (3G) biofuels, bio-CNG etc.;
- The Policy expands the scope of raw material for by allowing use of:
- Sugarcane Juice, Sugar containing materials like Sugar Beet, Sweet Sorghum;
- Starch containing materials like Corn, Cassava;
- Damaged food grains like wheat, broken rice, rotten potatoes etc. that are unfit for human consumption;
- The Policy indicates a viability gap funding scheme for 2G ethanol Bio refineries of INR 5,000 crore in 6 years. The Policy encourages setting up of supply chain mechanisms for biodiesel production;
- The National Biofuel Coordination Committee (NBCC), with the Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas as its head, is the agency to coordinate this blending programme.
Source: EPIC June 2022